In the interest of keeping the community informed, please see below for a brief review of the upcoming Newport-Mesa Unified School District (NMUSD) Board meeting. I have highlighted a few items that may be of interest to the general public.
Agenda Highlights for the December 13, 2016 Board Meeting:
9. Oath of Office. It is recommended that the newly elected Board of Education members, Dana Black, Martha Fluor, and Vicki Snell take the oath of office administered by Mr. Paul Reed, Deputy Superintendent & CBO of the Newport-Mesa Unified School District.
12. Annual Organizational Meeting. Each year, during the Annual Organizational Meeting, the Board of Education nominates and selects Board officers, nominates and selects representatives/liaisons for various committees, schedules Board Meetings for the year, and appoints administrative positions.
16.a. Presentation of Resolution No. 16-12-16 the Board of Education Distinguished Service Award to Paul Reed, Retiring Deputy Superintendent and Chief Business Official. It is recommended that the Board of Education present Resolution No. 16- 12-16 the Board of Education's Distinguished Service Award to Paul Reed for his dedicated service to Newport-Mesa Unified School District.
17.a. 50th Anniversary Student Board Member Report – 1960s. As part of the District’s 50th Anniversary celebration, it is recommended that the Board of Education receive this report from the Corona del Mar High School student board members reflecting back on what it was like to be in school in the 1960's in Newport-Mesa.
19.a.5. Approval of Memorandum of Understanding from the City of Newport Beach for Field Improvements at Newport Elementary School. The City of Newport Beach and the District have determined that the condition of the playground and fields need to be improved by removing existing turf and a portion of blacktop, re-grading soil, replanting turf, including irrigation and construction of a low berm wall. The City of Newport Beach shall design, bid and construct the improvements including but not limited to all plans, specifications, permits, drawings, and public notices.
19.a.13. Approve Authorization to Advertise and Award Bid #100-17 New HVAC Systems at College Park Elementary, Davis Magnet School, Pomona Elementary and Wilson Elementary. Staff proposes to start with the northernmost sites in the District and work incrementally until all the District's classrooms and main instructional spaces have updated HVAC systems.
21.a. Approval of the 2016-17 First Interim Report of District’s Financial Status. The First Period Interim Report, for the period ending October 31, 2016 is being presented to the Board of Education for approval. The Board must certify in writing whether or not the District is able to meet its financial obligations for the remainder of the fiscal year
Please click here to view the full NMUSD Board of Education meeting agenda.
General Board Meeting Overview
Board meetings are where elected officials conduct the business of the school district. Agendas for regular meetings of the NMUSD typically consist of a closed session and an open session.
Closed session agenda items are confidential and cannot be shared with the public. If the board agenda contains a closed session, the topics will be routinely related to confidential employee or student issues and/or pending litigation. The Board may also discuss various negotiations with its chief negotiator in a closed session.
Open session items are non-confidential agenda items in which the board conducts its business in view of the public. Open session agenda items are divided into the following sections:
- Public comment is provided so that members of the community can speak to the Board. If a speaker addresses an issue that is not on the agenda, the Board is restricted from responding to the speaker. If a speaker addresses an issue that is on the agenda, the Board may respond when the agenda item is scheduled to be addressed in the agenda. The purpose of the open meeting law, commonly referred to as the Brown Act, guarantees that public organizations will only make decisions or address issues that have been publicly posted. Public comments on non-agenda items do not meet this threshold.
- Presentation is when an item is being presented to the Board or from the Board. Examples include presentation of a check or proclamation to the Board, or the Board presenting a Distinguished Service Award to a staff member.
- Report is a verbal communication from staff on a topic of interest to the Board.
- Consent calendar items are routine items of business that occur on a regular basis. The board will approve the consent calendar in one vote, unless the board pulls it for discussion. Often, consent calendar items are related to contract renewals, construction change orders, purchase of previously approved instructional materials, supplies and routine approvals required by state law.
- Discussion/action calendar items are required to be publicly approved separately. Items in this category are new items that have not been previously approved, require a policy change, or are related to compensation changes for all employees.